Arnold Schwarzenegger Heart Surgery: His Epic Battle From Terminator to Survivor

Posted by Tamela Phillippe on Tuesday, May 7, 2024

You’ve likely heard that former California governor and actor Arnold Schwarzenegger had heart surgery. Now that everything has calmed down and Arnold is recovering.

When did Arnold Schwarzenegger Undergo His Heart Surgery?

The 70-year-old Republican governor revealed on Instagram (October 24, 2020) that he had undergone urgent open heart surgery.

Schwarzenegger said in the post that he underwent “aortic valve replacement” surgery at Ohio’s Cleveland Clinic Hospital.

The planned procedure was carried out at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles to replace a pulmonary valve, also known as a pulmonic valve which is situated between the heart and the lungs and permits blood from the right ventricle of the heart to pass to the lungs. After surgery, Arnold shared information about her health:

It’s true: I’m back! I went to sleep expecting to wake up with a small incision and woke up with a big one – but guess what? I woke up, and that’s something to be thankful for. Thank you to the doctors & nurses. And I’m truly filled with gratitude for all of the kind messages.

— Arnold (@Schwarzenegger) April 2, 2018

He was born with aortic stenosis, a heart condition that makes the heart work harder than normal to push blood through the aortic valve.

The Ross surgery which involves taking the patient’s natural pulmonic valve and moving it to the aortic position before replacing the absent pulmonic valve with a cadaver (deἀd person’s) valve was the technique the physicians utilized to repair his aortic valve in the 1990s.

His congenitally bicuspid aortic valve, which had two leaflets instead of the usual three was removed by doctors in the late 1990s and replaced with his pulmonic valve leaving him without a pulmonic valve.

At the same time, a cadaver valve was put in lieu of his naturally occurring pulmonic valve. At most, these donor valves have a lifespan of 20 years before failing, which is what occurred to Mr. Schwarzenegger.

In our previous posts we covered the information related to the surgeries of other stars and if you want to know about their health check out the below posts:

If you wanted to read about other famous celebrities surgery related details then you can be with us on our Twitter account.

ncG1vNJzZmiulaPBtr7Eo6alrF6YvK57kWlpbGdga3xygo6aqaennJl6tK%2FHsJirspWjsqizxKtkoZ2Rp8Fuv9Srnp6qqWQ%3D